On July 25, 2004 06:26 am, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> I have a new ECS N2U400-A which will not load either 9.2 or 10.0.  I
> spent 18 hrs trying different combinations and gave up.
>
> So I installed win2k on that box, just to prove to myself that the
> board sucked more than I originally thought.
>
> Okay, the question.
>
> It has an onboard nvidia 10/100 NIC.  I watched it check into the
> lan, copied its MAC, and assigned an address on the router.
>
> Every other box took this gracefully (win and mdk) and only uses
> that address.
>
> This new board just showed up on the net with another MAC and was
> assigned (of course) another address.  The net shows "black" logged
> in with two different MAC's and, consequently, two addresses
> although there is only rj45 on the box.
>
> I can't ping the assigned add and can ping the new and both show as
> dhcp logins.
>
> Any logical explanation?
>
> Lee

Yeah..the new (real) one is present and will respond to pings and other probes
because it is there.  The assigned one gets confused because it doesn't know
where to go.  Get rid of the copied/assigned MAC on the card and reconfigure
everthing to use the real MAC.

The only time you can successfully spoof a MAC is when the real MAC isn't on
the same network/interface as the rest of the world.  In short, you can do it
with a Linksys router because it's really another tiny computer/firewall and
it's just sort of borrowing it.  It doesn't work on the same box very well if
at all.

ttfn

John
Composed on a 100% Microsoft Free Computer
Guaranteed Virus Free
Mandrake Linux 10.0 OE
Registered Linux User 362316