Hi all,

First up, let me introduce myself. I'm Wafa, a grad student of economics, & I've been running various versions of Mandrake for over a year now - I started with 9.0 & now have 9.2 running smoothly on a Dell desktop at home.

The problem is with my Toshiba A45-S121 notebook, on which I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.0. I've kept a 10 GB unformatted partition for it; the rest of my hard drive is being used by WinXP, across two NTFS & one FAT32 partition.

The problem: When I boot from the Mandrake install cd, less than a minute into the install process (after choosing a standard graphical install), I get an error saying "Unable to create ramdrive". I looked at the kernel errors & logs, & there was something on the lines of the installer trying to access blocks of memory that do not exist. When I hit the space bar to indicate 'ok', the install continues. I reach the language selection screen, & am able to use my USB mouse to select & click 'Next'. However, the minute I click 'Nest', the installer vanishes, & I am back to the text screen. It starts to shut down, i.e. I get messages saying "Sending TERM signal....sending killall to all processes" ... etc. It then says "It is now safe to restart your machine." Looking at the lines above this, I noticed that XFree86 had been unable to load a number of modules.

This process happened identically twice; once when I hit enter at the main screen, & the next time when I hit f1 at the first menu & then typed 'linux' at the next menu.

Some basic specs of the machine: HDD_Int: Intel ICH4-M Sound: ANALOG DEVICES AD1981B VGA: Intel 852GME CPU: Intel Celeron 2800M RAM: PC2100 Modem: Softmodem (Lucent SCORPIO) USB: Intel ICH4-M (USB2.0) CD_Int: Intel ICH4-M PCMCIA: Toshiba ToPIC100 (Intel 82365 comp)

Chipset:          Intel 852GME
Network:          Intel 82562ET (Kinnereth)

Should I just try installing 9.2, which I know works fine on my home machine, & then upgrade 9.2 to the 2.6 kernel, since that contains some newer acpi support that this laptop needs?

Or is there a way out of this?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Wafa.

--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got