On July 28, 2004 23:02:11, J Latham wrote:
> Hi All ...
>
> This past weekend I "built" my first computer ... A nervewracking
> experience for a newbie but I'm pleased to say nearly everything went
> smoothly (and was easier than expected - esp with Mandrake 10.0 - Took a
> few attempts to get WinXP loaded).  The only problem now is that I can't
> get the onboard network card to work with Mandrake 10.0 ... Here are some
> specs:
>
> Mobo: MSI K8N Neo Platinum
> Chipset: nVIDIA nForce3 250Gb
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
> LAN controller: same as chipset note (nVIDIA nForce3 250Gb controller)
>
> When I run the Network config tool in MCC it fails to recognize the onboard
> LAN at all and instead asks me to make a "manual choice."  But none of the
> choices I tried seem to work.  (I tried "nvnet" for example but it just
> brought me back to the manual choice prompt - as did the 2 or 3 other
> listings I tried.)
>
> I tried installing a PCI Linksys Etherfast card, too, and the config tool
> found the card and went through the setup process without errors but I
> still haven't got a working network connection ...

I've done this the easy way for so long that it's hard to remember the pain I
once had with Linksys cards. Set harddrake to run at boot, plug in the card
and you'll likely find you'll have a connection next time you boot to
Mandrake. Alternatively, plug in the card and insert install disk one and
"Upgrade" the install. At the summary screen be certain you configure
anything that hasn't already been done by the installer.

As I said, the easy way. There's a link below if you'd like to take a swing at
things another way.

> Finally, I use a Linksys cable/DSL router to connect to my ADSL connection
> ... The router is configured properly as I'm using it to connect now thru
> WinXP, and it also works with another box I have running Mandrake ...
>
> I'm not sure what other info is needed to troubleshoot this so please let
> me know what else I need to provide ...
>
> Any and all help is appreciated ...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Adam

The linked article might help. Since you have Internet access through Windows
you can download any drivers from NVidia that you may require.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0256/ReleaseNotes_Linux_nForce_1.0-0256.html

That article is an old one and the driver versions aren't current but the
information is still valid.

Good luck;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Alpha 1) for i586 kernel 2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk
"Life sucks, but it's better than the alternative."
- -- Peter da Silva