John Aldrich wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> >
> > I have two network cards and both are working fine . I am able to ping  the
> > other system, and the linux box shows up fine in network neighborhood on the
> > windoze machine.  I have internet connection sharing  working fine from the win
> > only box.  I dual boot Mandrake 6.1 and 98 se. When I am in windoze it works
> > fine. When I boot to linux I can no longer share the connection. I want to use
> > the win box to be the main connection.  Is it possable? If so how?
> >
> > I have set everything up from the Mandrakeuser.org site. But just by the way it
> > reads it seams to expect the linux box  as the main connection.
> >
> Might one enquire why you're not using the full potential
> of your Linux box? After all, Linux is DESIGNED to do
> exactly the sort of thing you're trying to make your
> Windows box do.
> With special software (WinGate, I think...) you can do it,
> but Linux already has the capability of sharing the
> connection by default!
>         John

Windows 98 Second Edition (second try?) shipped the new Internet
Connection Sharing functionality.

As to the problem, it sounds like the Windows box isn't being referenced
as the default gateway on the Linux machine.  Should be fixable using
netcfg, linuxconf, or just editing /etc/sysconfig/network or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator