AMD xp 2400
machspeed v4mdpm
Nvidia GF4 MX 440
Dell E551c
Mandrake 10 official

Hello all,
I just built my first machine and am having mixed
results with the Nvidia card. The box is up and
running, working very well with windows XP pro and
suSE 9.1 except no ethernet/internet with the suSE .
Both of those OS's picked up the card off the bat.
When Suse found the card on start up it prompted me to
install the generic nvidia driver. This I did and no
problems. And the card is fine under windoze. I have a
problem though. My primary OS is mandrake 10 and I can
not get the card to work at all. At first I had some X
screen, although scrambled like eggs and the
resolution was all messed. Now just a blank screen.

When I built the new machine I transfered my drives
over. No big deal right. I had to reinstall XP as it
is a "fragile" system and would not boot up. No big
deal it was expected. I only use it for video editing
anyway, so no loss. Mandrake and suSE booted fine
except Mandrake would not recognize the VIA chips set
on the on-board graphics card although suSE did. That
prompted me to get this low-end NV card. Still no love
on the Drake. Could the move have disturbed a sturdy
OS like Mandrake? I doubt it. Darn it!

I really need to get Mandrake up and running. The suSE
partition is only there for fooling around, in fact I
only installed it a day or two before I built this
custom box. So why won't Makdrake play nice with this
NVIDIA card? I just want to get these lousy generic
drivers to work and don't get why they wont. I thought
perhaps it was a monitor/resolution problem. I played
around with XFdrake and Xorgconfig, inserted the
proper horizontal and vertical refresh rates for my
crappy dell monitor. This seemingly only made things
worse.

1. Do I need an NVIDIA-kernel to get the generic
drivers to work with this card?
2. Without a graphical interface how can I download
and install the official nvidia drivers if that is
what it is going to take?
3. Could the move have loused up the system in such a
way that I would have to reinstall? I really doubt
this, I mean its not like its a windoze partition.