On Saturday 07 August 2004 01:00 am, Greg Meyer wrote:

> If you are trying to connect to the vncserver on the local machine, you
> probably have to use localhost instead of the no-ip address.  Can a machine
> route to its own external ip address?

Yes, it can, but I have always had trouble with the GUI.  Also, I would expect
that you would have to open a port on the router device to connect externally
and I personally, would never do that unless it was being tunnelled through
SSH.  The password feature on TightVNC is not really meant to be a high level
security feature.

Why don't you try, from the CLI:

vncviewer :1

And see if you get prompted for a password.  If not, then you need to edit
the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file and add an instance for your desktop.

Something like VNCSERVERS="1:username" where username is your username.  Then
set a password by typing in vncpasswd and entering you password.  Then start
the vncserver and enter the command from above.
--
Bryan Phinney