On Sunday 15 August 2004 22:32:10, julie wrote:
> I've searched the Internet until I'm bleary eyed and hunted through
> archives and not come up with an answer as to which DVD +/-RW / +/-R might
> work with Mandrake Official 10. There are some tempting sales on right now
> and I'd like to take advantage ... Anyone know anything about I/OMagic or
> Micro Advantage products?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie Owens

Yes, I love sales. But I always miss them.

Either, both, which do you want, stay away from the dual layer types because
of price, and almost total lack of blank media, this is a run-on sentence
isn't it? :-)

The software is built into the backend for the "burning applications" now.

I've actually had decent success with the LG 4082B, Lite-On (various models
and speeds) haven't had a complaint about the Sony I installed last week yet,
anything by Plextor is great usually, if you don't mind the price tag, and as
far as I know everything by all the "known" brand name manufacturers will
read and write all those types now. Multi type drives are common now.

I'll stick with the ones I know for now, the ones I've listed above. A friend
just bought one yesterday, but I don't know which of the BenQs available
locally, so I'm pasting details below for the more expensive. Knowing her
that's what she ended up with. <g>

If it goes boom I'll post that here but I doubt it did or will. She installed
it last night and hasn't called screeching so it must be OK. Trust me, I'd
hear about it if she had trouble. She's actually running Beta1 of Mandrake
10.1 but i don't know that that would make a huge difference.

_Not_ a recommendation. I don't know the equipment yet.

BenQ DW822A DVD Rewriter Drive Retail (New Arrival)
DVD+RW Speed - 8x4x12x, DVD-RW Speed - 4x2x12x, CD Speed - 24x10x40x,
Double-Layer (+R9) Upgradeable, 8MB Buffer  $ 105.83

Notice it writes almost any of the media out of the box, and is upgradeable
(firmware) when the dual layer media are finally available.

The price is in Canadian $ at a retail shop locally, so multiply by .75 to
convert to U.S.$. Close enough anyway.

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk
Moe: What did you give your wife for Valentine's Day?
Joe: The usual gift -- she ate my heart out.