On Sunday 15 August 2004 22:24, BJ Tracy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a number of books on Linux and find them to be a wealth of
> knowledge but they are really vague when it comes to downloads and
> installations.
>
> Can someone suggest a good book that will walk me thru a download and
> installation.  I may be making this harder than it is, but I have
> been on MS all my life and just recently switched to Linux.  It's
> been years since I last did a lot of work on the keyboard(in the
> terminal) but I really do like what I'm doing now in Linux.
>
> A couple of NEWBIE questions:
> 1)  When you download a program such as clamav, where should you down
> load to? A temp file in the usr file?
How are you downloading the file,  if you are using urpmi it will decide
where it puts the file, if you are using rsync you should have a
directory set up for mirroring that site, if you are using something
probable you should set up something in your home directory to receive
the file.

> 2)  After extracting the files form the tar,  and you do a 'make' and
>  a 'make install'  , , , , , does Linux know where to put the program
> files? Just a little confused.
Yes there is a file generated by the packager which stores the files in
a specific place.  I'm not sure which one it is but I think its a spec
file.

> Any good books on this,  PLEASE ADVISE.
> bj
For Mandrake you might download 'rute', try 'urpmi rute'.  Its a pdf
file of 660 pages, there are also other documents look on mandrake
website for references.
--
Regards;
Hoyt