On Tuesday 17 August 2004 15:53, John Richard Smith wrote:

<many snips>

> Your gonna end up with a fair collection of cardboard cutout
> wierd and wonderfuls to make slipping negs straight in and out.

Actually John, I found out that using a plain, clear plate of glass
over my 6x6 and 3x4 negatives is sufficient and a lot easier. The
only caveat is to remember to adjust the individual frame in the
preview window prior to the actual scan.

> Don't forget you can add text to your images, not a bad idea to
> name photos for future generations, after all you may know that
> person is auntie Peggy but the next generation may not.

That's exactly the reason I prefer GIMP2. Adding text in GIMP1 is
awkward compared to "2". Furthermore I can't save the fonts,
typeface etc. from session to session, but have to start over each
time I fire up the GIMP. Aside from that, it's a pleasure.
> The one really useful thing I haven't learnt to do in gimp yet is
> cut around an image and dump the background. I feel sure it's
> possible but I haven't found the correct bit in the gimp manual.

Can't help you there (g). My wish is to find a way to "antiskew"
some photos : I live by the sea here in Denmark and a lot of photos
has an oblique horizon (too many beers, perhaps). I'm no champion
at image manipulation, but I remember a nice application called
"Photo>Graphics" from my OS/2 days. It had an option to "skew"
images into the correct, horizontal position. Maybe GIMP can do the
same, but I can't find out how.
</many snips>

Maybe I'll try kooka, but right now I have to explore GIMP/SANE.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *