On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 00:45, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:25:04 -0400
> Bryan Phinney disseminated the following:
>
> > Ahhh, right.  I mean, why would a hacker bother to try to hit Linux when all
> > he would manage to do is compromise thousands of machines that make up the
> > entire Internet backbone.  I mean, what would be the good in, say
> > compromising all the google clusters and disrupting the primary search engine
> > of the Internet?  The other script kiddies would probably laugh you out of
> > the Internet cafe when talking about that compared to, oh, sending out a
> > brain-dead virus built from a kit, using a vulerability that was published a
> > year ago, that hits home users who haven't updated their software since they
> > bought their computer.  Yeah, it must be that whole windows popularity thing,
> > I am sure that the comparitive difficulty in targeting Linux over windows has
> > absolutely nothing to do with it.  Pull the other one.
>
> ROFLMAO! Nice...that's a keeper.
>
> The far less amusing version, dare I post it again:
>
> http://securityfocus.com/columnists/188

Haven't we been over this more than enough in the past three years?

"Save the attachment to your drive; un-tar/un-gzip it; cd into the virus
directory; type sudo ./configure && make && make install; then run sudo
/usr/bin/virus" - sit back and watch your system fry."

On a side note, by leaving telnet and ftp and ssh ports opened, along
with not having a working and tested firewall, a system might be
breached as well - but still a tougher job to pull off than say,
downloading a virus kit from Astalavista, modifying the code, and
chucking it out on the net in through spoofed email...
--
stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture

(1) X=Y ; Given (2) X^2=XY ; Multiply both sides by X (3) X^2-Y^2=XY-Y^2
; Subtract Y^2 from both sides (4) (X+Y)(X-Y)=Y(X-Y) ; Factor (5) X+Y=Y
; Cancel out (X-Y) term (6) 2Y=Y ; Substitute X for Y, by equation 1 (7)
2=1 ; Divide both sides by Y -- "Omni", proof that 2 equals 1