Well, over the weekend I put the office boxes back on win2k.  It was
a tough decision, but I had no choice.

Friday afternoon one of the boxes dropped out of the network.
Usually a service smb restart sorted everything out but not this
time.  Never could get it to see the network printer again, although
I did sort out the directory shares.

Saturday morning the VMWare on another box borked.  I couldn't fix
it.

I realized that I was the only one working on computers anymore and
I wasn't having fun at it much.

Now its a mdk fileserver, a firewalled router to the net, and a
bunch of win2k boxes again.  Maybe I'll have time to play with my
own toys now.

The files are safe, the boxes can die and be resurrected in a couple
of hours with a no-brainer procedure, and I'm not bombarded with
hourly questions about every little icon on every little desktop.

I know, I dropped the banner.  Maybe I'll be smarter next year or
mdk will be more lenient on a rookie.  We'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm comfy with my three mdk boxes on my desk and everyone
else breathed a sigh of relief when they saw the old familiar
desktop.

Sad, I know.

Lee