-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kaj Haulrich
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 1:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] OT - Request for advice on Windows XP

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 18:21, PM wrote:

<big whack>

> Hi Kaj,
>
> I see you've received plenty of replies re adaware, Zone Alarm
> etc.
>
> You say that you need XP for school related apps, but does this
> include internet access?
>
> If not, I would suggest you dual-boot, set up a FAT 32 partition
> to store data that can be read by both XP & Linux, and use Linux
> for emails, web. file transfers, etc. yes, virii can be
> transferred by a linux box, but you'll stand a better chance of
> catching it.
>
> Paul M

Hoyt, Bryan, Franki, Lyvim, Todd, Lanman, PM, Thereidos, Wally,
Charlie !!!!!!

What a wonderful list this is. Thank you all.

Here's a (compressed) battle report from the XP front :

The fool (me) ran Windows-update first. Apparently a big mistake.
Next, I installed OpenOffice and Moxilla directly from the net,
using IE. Big mistake, I suppose. Then ZoneAlarm. Then AGV
antivirus. (which seems to work well).

After that I cleaned up with XoftSpy, getting rid of another
[EMAIL PROTECTED] of malware. (some of it re-installs immidiately).

Now - after about 5 hours of intense shelling, every time I daringly
peep up from my foxhole, this box attracts enemy fire from
artillery, flame-throwers, machine guns and whatnot. ZoneAlarm is
on overtime, popping up every other second.

I guess all those defenses are chewing up most of my CPU cycles,
what with the system becoming incredibly slow.

If I hadn't been warned of Windows by the years on this list, I'd
never believe my own eyes : what a mountain of manure, this XP !
Crappy isn't the word.... Jeez......

Tomorrow I'll work on with this ¤%&## "operating system" following
all your kind advice, but : I WILL DO IT OFF LINE. I intend to
download the suggested programs onto my Mandrake box, burn the lot
to CD and install from there.

Furthermore, I got an agreement with my daughter : until further
notice, she will do ALL of her networking from my Linux box (she is
a user here) and only do some schoolwork on the Windows box, as you
suggested. Clumsy, but necessary.

If everything fails, I will buy a router or let her connect through
my Linux box, eventually, but I'm too lazy and frustrated to set it
up right now.

I cannot for my souls sake get into my head, that some people
voluntarily runs this garbage OS.

But that's me....

Thanks again, folks

Kaj Haulrich.

--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *