On Wednesday 25 August 2004 14:38, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> --- John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If you purchased this box with XP on it and they didn't give
> > you XP installation discs then they usually supply backup file
> > somewhere on the
> > HD in a spare partition.If so it might well be worthwhile
> > reinstalling from that. they are usually some drive image type
> > of backup file and don't take very long to reinstall a brand
> > new pristine condition OS as originally supplied. That's the
> > best way to get rid of virus problems, provided that they have
> > not spread to bios and partition tables, in which case it's a
> > different ball game.
> >
> > John
>
> On partition installation files are not reliable on M$ boxes
> because of the spread of cab archive infections.

Well Lyvim and John... maybe I screwed things up again :

When doing the re-install, I used the built-in function from HP to
create the "restore" CDs. Could that mean I transferred all the
Trojans, Worms, Viruses and Spyware to the "restore" disks ?

Anyway, right now I've scanned the HD for viruses, and no one seems
to have survived, but nevertheless, each time I've cleaned the
drive with XoftSpy, Adaware and Spybot, they tell me that various
numbers of malware have been "quarantained" and will be deleted at
next reboot. Only to the effect, that next time I reboot and run
the tools, I've got another s%#t-load of worms, etc... etc...

I'm very tempted to give up. Not in my wildest imagination could I
come up with an OS this horrible !

My daughter feels sorry for me : for my birthday present I wanted a
new toilet bag, so she gave me one. You can admire it here :

http://haulrich.net/Family/toiletbag.jpg

She's a real cutie.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *