Hello,
A friend just called. She was running Win XP on a Packard Bell Easy One Silver 2101 and it crashed totally. I have been trying to convert her to Linux but before installing it, I would like your opinion.
From what I found out on the net, her laptop has: RAM 256Mo , 1GHz ,HD 20 Go.
What version would be best, MDK 9.1 or 10? Any foreseeable problems?( she would assassinate me if things went ( more) wrong.
Thanks for your help
Maryse

Your best bet would be to check out the Linux on Laptops site at:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Should be little difference between 9 & 10, but there may be
difficulties with sound and/or modem - depends on what they use.

Thank you. It wasn´t on :

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

but I found an article in frech on: http://linuxfr.org/~spada/8122.html
saying Debian 3.0 installs well on it. The modem only works with the  2.4.23 kernel
but the rest functions with 2.6
Problem: how do I get the modem driver if I cannot connect her laptop?
Maryse