On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:11, Vincent Voois wrote:
> Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > My daughters PC and I have agreed on an armstice : It will
> > remain disconnected from all and everything until I receive new
> > CD's from HP. Then - maybe - I will try again, now armed with
> > all your advice and one CD full of
> > antispyware/antivirus/antiworm/firewall weapons downloaded and
> > burned via Linux. And NO networking until at least 7 scans
> > reveils NO malware whatsoever. And, if after 5 minutes online
> > it shows the slightest sign of infection : goodbye to
> > networking for good.
>
> Why would you hook up her machine directly to the net when can
> arrange your Linux box to do all the NAT and firewalling stuff?
> All required are two ethernet cards and a crosscable (or a
> hub/switch and two utp cables). It's not an expensive
> configuration anymore nowadays.

Simple explanation : Her room is about 10 meters away from my home
office, and I don't want to spend another day drilling holes,
re-arranging rugs etc. thus exposing myself tho the ire of my -
ever beloved - supreme command.

Furthermore, I'm not the type of guy that has the PC running
non-stop. Actually, I hate the noise from the fan. And I suppose,
that in order to have my box doing all the filtering for her box
would necessitate a boot on both machines every time she wants to
send an e-mail.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *