BJ Tracy wrote:
On Thursday 26 August 2004 03:36 pm, frankieh wrote:

BJ Tracy wrote:

I still have one (1) desktop running XP in my office,  how do I turn off
automatic updates on that pc?

ps  is there documentation for emacs in mdk10,if so where?

Snip

In the control panel, click on "System" and then select the "automatic
updates" tab, you can turn it on and off there.
(at least thats what it is like here, but I put SP2 on this machine,
which changes things abit.) I had to try SP2, because I'm bound to be
asked about it by clients. and I always have to know more then they do. :-)

rgds

Franki
htmlfixit.com

Thanks, did it. bj

BJ; That procedure only turns of one part of Automatic Updates. On your desktop, right-click "My Computer", and click on "Manage". Once the new panel opens, expand "Services and Applications", and then click on "Services".

Once inside this new panel, find "Automatic Updates", right-click it and click on Properties. In the new panel, change "Automatic" or "Manual" to "Disabled" and click the "Stop" button as well. Close that and return to the main services section, find a service called "Messenger" and do the same with it, just like Automatic Updates - ie; stop and disabled. That will also prevent a lot (But not all) of "Pop-Ups" from appearing on your screen whenever you're browsing. Once this has been stopped and disabled, exit from all these panels back to your desktop, and enjoy!

BTW, You might also want to turn off "Error Reporting" which can be accessed from the properties panel of My Computer. After all, why send a bunch of your personal info to Microsoft so that they can learn a lot more about you and your system? You might see Error Reporting in the services panel I mentioned above as well. Consider turning that off and disabling it as well.

Microsoft leaves these background services running in case other users ever use your WindowsXP system, in which case, the updates are performed regardless of the fact that you turned them off on your desktop. If you only use the option for turning it off which is inside My Computer, it is only turned off for you but not for other users on that system, in which case, everyone still receives the so-called "Benefits" of those updates!

Just though you should know.

Lanman