Power Supply?

On Aug 27, 2004, at 1:46 AM, charlie wrote:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:55 pm, Paul Rodriguez wrote:
A couple of months ago, we had a power surge at our house that harmed
the computer. Although the computer was on a surge protector, the cable
modem was not, and it fried the eth0 on the motherboard.

I have since have had a difficulty whenever I try to transfer large
files on the hard drive.  When I try, my computer restarts or freezes.

I have since replaced the mobo (Soyo Dragon Plus SY-KT600), my memory,
and my hard drive.

Changing my hard drive and motherboard made no change.  My computer
would alternately freeze or reboot during the installation phase.

After installing new memory (from Crucial, specifically for my new
mobo), my computer doesn't even boot properly, and never gets to the
menus in the mandrake install cd.

No real idea here, but I have heard of something similar and it was the
cabling that was damaged. Again because of a power outage. Might not be the
case with your machine though, but worth a check just the same.

Charlie

-- Registered Linux User:- 329524
-------------------------------
At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we
require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be
infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because
unfathomable. .............................Henry David Thoreau
This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 10, KMail 1.6.1 and of
course OpenOffice.org1.1.0
If you want to know Mandrake more intimately - look here:-)
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org