On Sunday 29 August 2004 01:32, john wrote:
> Hello
> After reinstalling md10, several folders now show locked. Security
> settings are standard and I 'm not sure what happened to change these
> folders. Any advice on how to change them to normal settings would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> John

When you add users to your system each user is allocated a User ID starting
from 501 upwards. (and a Group ID number the 'GID')
It is the UID number in the header of each file which determines the 'owner'

If you have added your users in a different order to your last install, and
did not reformat the /home partition, then the preexisting files will have
the old UID/GID numbers.

When reinstalling it is important to enter your users in the same sequence to
ensure they have the same UID/GID numbers as the previous install.

To resolve it, as root change the owner of the /home folders.  It is easy
enough in KDE hit Alt+F2 then type 'kdesu konqueror' in the box to get a root
copy of konqueror, then right click on the home folders and select properties
to change the ownerships.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net