Star Wars: Battlefront Port? - posted by Crusader - Sunday Aug 29 08:03:42
2004
linuX-gamers.net pointed out this interview that StarWars-BATTLEFRONT.de
conducted with Pandemic Studios concerning their upcoming
multiplayer-oriented multi-platform shooter Star Wars: Battlefront. The
question of Linux support came up, and surprisingly (as LucasArts has never
shown any inclination towards wanting to support Linux clients for their
products, despite ILM using it as a workstation platform) Pandemic responded
with this:

    Will you be able to play SWBF on 'exotic' platforms like the Linux-kernel
or Mac OS? Will you release a dedicated-server-software?

    We have been delving into the realm of "exotic" platforms, actually. Right
now, we are definitely supporting all major and current releases of MS
Windows (i.e. '98, Me, 2000, and XP). We have also spent some time tinkering
with Linux support, as well. We definitely do not want to do anything
half-hearted, though, so if we run out of time, we will look into patches,
but I can guarantee that if we do ship with it, it will run equally well on
any OS we support. Battlefront will actually have a good amount of server
options for everybody to use. Specifically for the PC, every retail version
will have the ability to handle Hosting and Dedicated Hosting. For the
Dedicated Server crowd, you may want to know that we are planning to have
multiple server per CPU support, as well. That means that, depending on your
system's power, you may be able to run two or three separate servers without
any of them taking major performance hits. Also, for those who like to
support their console-playing brethren, we are planning to release a
standalone Dedicated Server for PS2 games only that will be a free download.

--

                                                              /\
                                                         Dark<  >Lord