JRH wrote:
Hi all,

Bit of a good one this!

I have 2 HDD's in my machine, and I want to boot from both Drives.

My main drive (/dev/hdc) is where LiLo is installed.

On my main drive, I have: hdc1: Windows 98SE, hdc5: /root, hdc7: /usr, hdc8: /home.

The second drive, contains Windows ME (dont ask!!), and DiskDrake sees it as /dev/hda, and LiLo sees it as hda1.

In theory, all looks like it should work. But it dont!

When I boot, I select Win ME in LiLo, then I get a boot failure message (something along the lines of invalid boot disk, please replace and hit any key to retry- looks like it's BIOS initiated.)

Swop the drives over, and it will boot into ME fine, so the OS is intact etc.

Any Ideas?? or am I just hoping for too much? :-(

JRH

Dunno much about ME but it's probably the case, as with 98, that in order to boot, it needs to be installed on the first sector of the Master HD. This would explain why it boots up when you swap the drives. (Interesting experiment: - swap the drives then try to boot 98SE. If it fails then I'm probably right about this.)

Never heard of a way round this although there are smarter people than me on this list so you never know.

--
Graham Watkins

"Don't be lucid and ironic; people will turn this against you to show
that you aren't a nice person." - Albert Camus

Registered Linux user number 265254      http://counter.li.org