On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 00:32, Thereidos wrote:
> W liście z pon, 06-09-2004, godz. 16:37, Marc Hultquist pisze:
> > Does anyone know how to backup mail when using kontact as your general purpose
> > mail client, I can see a import option, but as far as exporting I can't see
> > anything, and I have mail that I _have_ to keep :\
> >
> > Kind Regards
>
> All your mail is kept in ~/.Mail directory. Depending on option you've
> chosen its mbox or maildir format.
> You can just copy the directory to wherever you wish to backup and copy
> in back afterwards.
> Contacts are kept somewhere in ~/.kde directory.

With copying the mail, I'd watch out.
Here's my crash and burn story.
Around a year ago I managed to get my wife to switch to linux from
you-know-what, and all was fine until I decided to do a backup and
istall Mdk10.0 from scratch.  With evolution and mbox format, I know
copying to be a quick and elegant solution.  So I did the copy thing
with the ~/Mail directory, and though it had some error messages about
some files, most of the things went through OK.
Apparently not.  I think everything was in maildir format, which doesn't
like to be dragged and dropped (who does?).  All in all I lost over half
a year's worth of her email, setting back my other half's trust in linux
by a century.
I did a bit of experimenting aferwards, and if I wrapped up ~/Mail in a
tar.gz, and unpacked it all after the install, nothing was lost.
The moral of the story: if backing up, make sure the backup is
successful before deleting the original.
cheers
Andras