----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:07:50 -0300
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Ghost in the machine?

> Greetings, I had something strange occur today
> as I was doing some downloading with Apollon
> on my Mandrake10 system.
> Suddenly my cd burner drive spun up for no reason.
> I didn't have a cd in the drive, and wasn't doing
> anything with the drive at all. My system seemed to be
> responding normally otherwise, so I rebooted, and
> things seem OK now.
>
> What could have caused the glitch? My cdrw crapping out on me? It's an LG GCE-8525B,
> and is only a few months old.
>
> Anyone ever note this sort of thing, or have any ideas on it?
> Many TIA's for your time.
> Regards.
>
> --Angus
>*************************************
In answer to my own post....I have determined that
the sound I have been detecting, and thought to be
my cdrw drive, is instesad coming from the fan in my
power supply. ;-|

I'll have to replace the fan/power supply right away.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 10.0~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~