On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 23:07, Angus Auld wrote:
> Greetings, I had something strange occur today
> as I was doing some downloading with Apollon
> on my Mandrake10 system.
> Suddenly my cd burner drive spun up for no reason.
> I didn't have a cd in the drive, and wasn't doing
> anything with the drive at all. My system seemed to be
> responding normally otherwise, so I rebooted, and
> things seem OK now.
>
> What could have caused the glitch? My cdrw crapping out on me? It's an LG GCE-8525B,
> and is only a few months old.
>
> Anyone ever note this sort of thing, or have any ideas on it?
> Many TIA's for your time.
> Regards.
>
> --Angus

If supermount is in use, it will automatically scan every one of it's
entries in /etc/fstab whenever you go into the /mnt directory.  That
includes when you do a dir of /mnt/floppy, /mnt/hd, or whatever.

Whenever supermount does a scan of course it pulls a dir from every one
of it's fstab entries.

If you scan  the /mnt dir with konqueror the same thing happens.

LX