Russell Butler wrote:
Hi all

Since upgrading to kernel 2.6.3-15, I am unable to access my SCSI scanners. I have a Benq 610s on a Symbios 53c810 card and a Canon FS4000 on a Tekram TRM-S1040 card. Under the 2.4 kernel I could reinitialise these using the "rescan-scsi-bus.sh" shell script. Now however, I cannot access them at all, and even rebooting does not recognise them. Proc/scsi/scsi is empty, as is /dev/scsi/.

Harddrake shows the scsi cards present with modules âsym53c8xx and dc395x_trm respectively.

Can anyone advise me where to look next please? I don't use the scanners very often, but would like to have them working again. Even trying to boot back into the old kernel failed with a kernel panic because the modules were configured for the newer kernel.

Replying to my own problem.
Mandrake.expert list gave me the clue.
Modprobe the two modules as root enabled them to connect and are now identified and usable.
# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: CANON Model: IX-40015G Rev: 1.07
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: Color Model: FlatbedScanner_4 Rev: 0107
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Thought it might help someaone else with similar problems.

Russell