On Saturday 18 September 2004 21:32, Chris wrote:
> I'm currently running 9.0 and thinking about upgrading to 10.1.  I noticed
> that in the 10.0 release there was a community and then an official
> release, will there be the same with 10.1?  Looking at the Mdk Store I only
> see the 10.1 community offered in DVD format, does anyone know if it will
> be offered in CD format?  When I bought 9.0 I bought the 'power pack' is a
> 'power pack' version offered in 10.1?

In time of course it will. At the moment 10.1 is currently only available in
'Community' either as an iso download for Mandrake Club members or as a bunch
of RPMs on the public Mandrake-devel mirrors.

Anyone with access to broadband and some moderate Linux knowledge can upgrade
to 10.1Community either by performing a network install, or else simply
changing their urpmi sources to point at the 10.1 community mirrors. The Wiki
describes this procedure.

A word of caution though. 10.1 community is by no means a finished product. I
have been running it for three days now and have found three nasty problems
so far. The whole point of community is to thrash out bugs. No doubt in time
the nasties will get fixed.
If you want a stable product then wait for 10.1 official.

derek

For those interested in the 'nasty' problems, they are :-
X forwarding of gtk applications (like mcc) does not work from a remote
machine to a 10.1 device.
(If someone could confirm that I would be grateful)

If you pass folders between machines with konqueror using either Samba or
fish:// mounts konq will lock up and the mount will not unmount.

One of my computers will not boot the 2.6.8-10mdk kernel at all. The screen
just goes blank. Other kernels are OK.

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org