On Wednesday 22 September 2004 19:03, Azrael wrote:
> I've just been given a 17th inch widescreen TFT monitor (Kiss
> Technologies, Coolview) and I am having problems setting it up correctly
> under mandrake 10.
>
> The monitor supports 1280x768, yet I only get the standard
> non-widescreen resolutions as choices. How can I set it so I am useing
> widescreen properly?
>
> many thanks for any help

If your monitor is not listed in the monitor selection options then go to the
manufacturers home page http://www.kiss-technology.com and find the
specifications of your monitor. You need the horizontal scan rate (in kHz)
and vertical refresh rate (in Hz).

Then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and insert the specs in the  monotor section
for example :-

    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-150

Do not put in a higher horiz scan rate than your monitor supports or else you
could fry it.

Then in section "Screen" enter your default rates
for example :-
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Virtual 1280 768
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Virtual 1280 768
    EndSubsection

then restart X

If you still have problems then the log at /var/log/XFsomething or other
will give clues as to what is wrong.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net