----- Original Message -----
From: Erylon Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:06:44 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Dual booting with XP

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 01:38 am, Keith Powell wrote:
> | I have now received some more information from my friend who has WindowsXP
> | on his hard drive and is trying to install Mandrake and dual-boot it and
> | WindowsXP. It's not much, but here it is:
> |

> | The computer just boots back into XP every time.
> |
> | I have tried altering the Bios so that the first boot device is the CD rom,
> | into which I have put Disc 1 of Mandrake 10. - but we still boot into XP.
> |
> Try booting from CD2.
>
> If that fails, make a partition on the drive, copy the Mandrake CD's to it,
> follow the instructions for making an hd.img floppy, and install from the HD.
> (That is the way I always do it, because I don't like to mess about with the
> disks--everything is there and if I need to urpmi something from the disks I
> don't have to look around for the install CD's).

I've been dual-booting Mdk with MS since Mdk8.2, first with WinME, and now with XP. I
found that if you just let Mdk do it's thing with diskdrake doing the partitioning, it
has presented no insurmountable issues. Not on my Dell Dimension anyhow.
I am talking about installs of Mdk were MS was in place first. Mdk has always played
nice with MS here, for the most part at least.

I've had issues though, but have been able to get through them all with the help of
the learned and kind folks on this very list.
It is wonderful when those who have knowledge are willing to pass it along to others.
I am appreciative of many such kind folks who have shared their knowledge. Some little
may have even sunk in...either that , or Linux is just getting a lot easier to figure
out. ;-)

Perseverance will pay off......indeed it will.
Regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 10.0~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~