On Monday 11 October 2004 03:29, T Travis wrote:
> Purchased 3 CD set Mandrake 10. Loaded as per directions. Got to last page,
> Man 10 could not find sound card (Sound Blaster 16). Message 'run sndconfig
> after installation'. Would not exit that page? Rebooted and every thing
> opened perfect (1.3 gig loaded ona clean 10gig HD), ended with, local host
> logon.  (Never heard of it before?) tried user!
>        local host password.  Tried user password.
>     (master @ local-host master)$ curser blinks!!
> Nothing I enter is accepted it always returns to the above line.
> Have sent Email to the distributor, zilch reply!
> What's to do ?
>                     TT. Nz.
you don't see any return when typing password, as it is a security
'feature' (no one looking over your shoulder could tell how many digits in
your password)
after correctly entering a password, if it was me, I would hit enter....
next thing I would try after a prompt came up --
would be to type 'startx' without the quotes....

to properly shut down the computer, try 'shutdown -h now'
at the prompt.
linux counter #167806