Jeremy wrote:

> Hey I get that too!
>
> I thiink it has something to do with ncurses??  Are you running Mandrake 6.1 ?

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > I want to recompile my kernel with support for my SoundBlaster CD-ROM, but when
> > I run "make xconfig" I get the following error:
> >
> > rm -f include/asm
> > ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> > make -C scripts kconfig.tk
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/scripts'
> > gcc -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium
>-mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2
>-malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -c -o tkparse.o
>tkparse.c
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/scripts'
> > cc1: Invalid option `preferred-stack-boundary=2'
> > make[1]: *** [tkparse.o] Error 1
> > make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
> >
> > What does this mean?

It means Mandrake never tested their packages before they shipped them.
The kernel will not rebuild as they distributed it unless you edit the
Makefile.

Change to the /usr/src/linux directory and use your favorite editor to
edit Makefile.  Search for 'preferred-stack-boundary=2' and remove it.
Save the Makefile.

Now do your kernel compile and all will be well.

It's been a month, where's the fix Mandrake??

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator