On Thursday 30 September 2004 09:24, Merlin Zener wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just got hold of 4 Mandrake 10.0 CDs; I'll be upgrading from 9.0,
> and I wanted to ask if there's anything particular I should [or should
> not] do to ensure a smooth transition.
>
> I'm currently dual booting with WIN2KPRO, and I don't want to mess up
> that partition, or mess with the LILO setup as it is.
>
> If I just put the CD in and boot, will it notice what's already there
> and put itself over the top of the old 9.0 install, or will I have to
> make sure it doesn't stomp on anything that it shouldn't?
>
> What kind of backup should I do first, just in case anything goes wrong?
> I'm guessing, simply copy anything that's in /home/merlin, but where
> else are things kept that I need to back up? What about Mozilla, Pan and
> Evolution - where do they keep their files? [Oh, btw, I still didn't get
> any answer about how to get my bookmarks and passwords back in Mozilla,
> in the other thread...] Is there a Linux equivalent of the registry that
> I should back up? [and would it work with 10.0 anyway?]
>
> Anything else I should be aware of? Any "gotcha"s? Something maybe that
> you guys have come across and dealt with before me?
>
> TIA for all advice [as usual:) ]
>
> --
> Merlin Zener
> Piano, Synthesizer
> Thailand.
>
> "...if my calculations are correct..."

There's a lot of ways of doing this the right way and a lot of opinions too:)

Upgrading 9.0 -> 10.0 will probably give a lot of trouble as they use very
different kernels. I wouldn't advise it anyway, a clean install is the best
way.......that is, if you've got your /home on a separate partition.

Doing a clean install whilst retaining your /home partition will have you lose
previously installed 3rd party software which is usually installed in /usr.

The way I prefer working is to set-up an new install on a new partition on its
own without any creating any users and mounting the old /home partitions in a
later stage......which has some pitfalls too, as always:)

Installing 10.0 left me with an XP that wouldn't boot normally (it will in
safemode though and after that it's OK). It happens everytime after using
diskdrake. No big deal for me - I only boot XP if I have to help out some
poor stuck XP sod- but others might get a bit ruffled:)

Lilo has to be changed and will be, otherwise 10.0 can't be booted!

To be really helpful we'd need to know what your partition setup is, so let's
start with that,heh? Otherwise we'd be rewriting the installation manual all
over.
--
Good luck,
HarM