On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 17:41, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 09:24, Merlin Zener wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've just got hold of 4 Mandrake 10.0 CDs; I'll be upgrading from 9.0,
> > and I wanted to ask if there's anything particular I should [or should
> > not] do to ensure a smooth transition.
> >
> [...snip]
> There's a lot of ways of doing this the right way and a lot of opinions too:)
>
> Upgrading 9.0 -> 10.0 will probably give a lot of trouble as they use very
> different kernels. I wouldn't advise it anyway, a clean install is the best
> way.......that is, if you've got your /home on a separate partition.
>
> Doing a clean install whilst retaining your /home partition will have you lose
> previously installed 3rd party software which is usually installed in /usr.
>
> The way I prefer working is to set-up an new install on a new partition on its
> own without any creating any users and mounting the old /home partitions in a
> later stage......which has some pitfalls too, as always:)
>
> Installing 10.0 left me with an XP that wouldn't boot normally (it will in
> safemode though and after that it's OK). It happens everytime after using
> diskdrake. No big deal for me - I only boot XP if I have to help out some
> poor stuck XP sod- but others might get a bit ruffled:)

this is just the kind of thing that scares me - I need the win stuff for
my music programs.

> Lilo has to be changed and will be, otherwise 10.0 can't be booted!
>
> To be really helpful we'd need to know what your partition setup is, so let's
> start with that,heh? Otherwise we'd be rewriting the installation manual all
> over.

well I'm not sure how to find out, so I copied this from the KDiskFree
display:

/dev/hda1 ntfs 7.8GB /mnt/nt 889.3MB 88.9%
/dev/hda5 vfat 22.6GB /mnt/windows 3.2GB 86%
/dev/hda6 ext3 980.5MB / 798.8MB 18.5%
/dev/hda8 ext3 3.8GB /usr 2.3GB 40.2%
/dev/hda9 ext3 2.7GB /home 730.1MB 73.8%
/dev/hdc1 auto 74.5GB /mnt/hd 17.6GB 76.4%
/dev/sda1 auto N/A /mnt/removable 0B N/A

Is this the info you wanted?

--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer