On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 10:16, Erylon Hines wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 12:24 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
> | Hello all,
> |
> | I've just got hold of 4 Mandrake 10.0 CDs; I'll be upgrading from 9.0,
> | and I wanted to ask if there's anything particular I should [or should
> | not] do to ensure a smooth transition.
> |
> It is a BIG jump from 9.0 to 10--I wouldn't even try an upgrade, myself, due
> to the different kernels.
> Is there a good reason that you want to upgrade??  Unsupported hardware or
> some such?  I don't know much about 9.0, I went from 8.2 to 9.1 (not an
> upgrade--fresh install).  I've since upgraded a couple of machines from 9.1
> to 9.2, but I don't see much difference, except that I had to apply some
> fixes to get stuff that worked perfectly in 9.1 to work in 9.2.  At least the
> upgrade didn't really break anything badly, and was actually smooth--for an
> upgrade.   I still haven't moved any of my machines to 10.x because I have
> older hardware and there just isn't any point to it.  Plus, judging from the
> topics on list, the 2.6 kernel can break stuff that is working fine for me
> now.
>
> If this is your only box, I would wait, if I were you.  On the other hand, you
> can consider it a chance to learn some more about Linux 8).

Worrying comments, Erylon.

I was advised to upgrade because my system is now "quite old" and most
of the advice-givers here have newer systems, so when they tell me do do
something that works on their system, it won't work on mine. Really, my
original problem is Mozilla crashing on opening pages that used to open
just fine before - if someone could tell me how to fix that, then I
wouldn't need to upgrade, I guess. But then I'd be missing out on all
the other stuff ppl have been telling me about like rootkit, fontconfig,
urpmi and so on, none of which are working on my system now.

Comments from the gallery, anyone?

--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer