On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:27:59 +0200
Kaj Haulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 October 2004 21:04, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 October 2004 20:53, Björn Olsson wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Carroll,
> > >
> > > No, I haven't asked Epson yet. Asking the manufacturer och
> > > vendor is always the last resort, isn't it?  ;-)
> > > However, I have gone over their website without finding
> > > anything worthwhile. But you are right, It _is_ worth asking,
> > > so I'll give them a call tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Björn
> >
> > </snip>
> >
> > As another comment :
> >
> > Epson Perfection 2400 Photo works excellent on my MDK 10.1 CE.
> > Although it isn't listed as a fully compatible scanner, the 2480
> > will probably work.
> >
> > You could try to use one of Epson's linux drivers from here :
> >
> > http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html
> >
> > I tried one of those drivers, but it insisted on "device busy" or
> > some such, so I did'nt bother, but use xsane as my default
> > driver.
> >
> > A 100 % pleasure.
>
> I forgot something :
>
> Epson scanners - including 2480 - are well supported by Vuescan from
> Hamrick Software. Although it is commercial it is reasonably
> priced :
>
> http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html
>
> Vuescan works great, but it is a bit more complicated (too many
> options for my small brain) than xsane.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.
> --
> *sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
>          * http://haulrich.net *
> *Running Linux (Mandrake 10.1) - kernel 2.6.8*

Thanks for your input, all of you.
Today I called Epson's support. As it turned out, the 2480 Photo is
exactly the same model as the plain 2480, except it ships with a
separate slide holder. So that means the SANE CVS-drivers should work.
Even better, the next stable release of SANE-Backends is scheduled for
2004-11-07.

Björn