Today at 08:54, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> the address 127.0.0.1 is reserved as "local host" and you'll be having
> some trouble trying t get that range of numbers to work. On a private
> lan you should use ranges like 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx ....where
> xxx goes up to 254.

That  right. I didn't realize until after I clicked `send' that i put
127.0.0.1 there, I did mean 192.168.0.1, but didn't remember that
particular number at the time.  I'll use 192.168.0.1 for the server,
then 192.168.0.11 and 192.168.0.12 for the hosts.

> What you want is all very feasible but as apparently you have no idea what
> so-ever about networking:

Precisely.

> Browse through a book about setting up a network (for beginners) first!
> It should save you a lot of frustration setting up and maintaining your lan.
> You don't want us to set up your lan...you want  to do it yourself, don't you?
Hmmmm.... Actually, it would be nice if y'all do drop in and do it all
for me, but I'd just as soon everyone just guide me and I'll do all the
configuring myself, so that I get familiar with what's what. That way,
once it's done, should there be a problem later on, I'll have an idea
where to look. I would just like some guidance from folks that have been
there before me, so as to prevent getting into common mistakes
(particularly in regards to security.) Also, books can be loaded with
so many obtuse examples and chit-chat- that I get confused on just what
I _need_ to do, and what I need to ignore.
        I did receivee another, longer, letter from someone else with
helpfull comments, but I'll have to wait until I get some sleep before
continuing. It's 3:30 am here, so I'll get some rest and start fresh
`tomorow'. By then I may also have a few more helpfull answers, and
every little bit will help!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Russ.

Should we continue to trust Bush as our leader? Read this, then you  decide:
    http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4636.shtml

 ``More and more of our imports come from overseas.''
 --G. W. Bush, (Source: Slate)

 [Just how thick-headed can a guy be? --Russ.]

 To err is human, to repent divine; to persist devilish.

                    http://www.TruthAboutWar.org
  What is freedom, really? See this great flash presentation:
             http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf