On Wednesday 20 Oct 2004 22:12, Keith Powell wrote:
> I am about to change to broadband and the hardware has now
arrived.
> Clarification of a couple of points would be greatly
appreciated,
> please.
>
> The Ethernet card has a CD which includes a "wizard" for
setting up both
> it and the BIOS automatically. But it's for Windows :(
>
> I have 98SE, which I very occasionally run. Would I be better
setting
> the card up using the wizard and Windows, and then changing to
the
> Mandrake hard drive after it has been set up? I have read on
this list,
> that if one just installs the card, Mandrake will find it. But
then the
> BIOS won't be set up will it? There is a Linux driver on the
CD, which
> I would install when in Mandrake.
>
> It's the same with the router - an easy automatic set-up using
Windows,
> but little information on setting it up manually.
>
> For information, the card is an SMC1255TX-PF, and the router is
an
> SMC7204BRA - which Derek recommended as working well with
Linux. (I
> want to "play safe" and not have any problems getting going in
> broadband).
>
> Any advice gratefully received as I am itching to get on to
broadband
> but am confused at the moment!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

Not sure if this is particularly helpful as I am on a cable
network but in my own case, I used the Windows program provided
to establish the connection and set up my account with my ISP
(ntl).  Then I just plugged the "modem" into my Linux box (I
think you wouldn't even have to do that  as you switch between
Windows and Linux on the same box), and then set up Linux to
work with the new account.  My ethernet connection worked first
time - now I have a router connected to both Windows and Linux
boxes with the "modem" connected as the link to the Internet.  I
now work with either the Windows machine or the Linux one (or
both) without any problem.

HTH

Alan

--