Russell W. Behne wrote:
Today at 08:39, David Johnson wrote:

For my next question: I'm wondering how uptime keeps track of how
long the server has been running. The reason I ask is that I have a
couple of ML10 boxes running in a production environment on VMWare ESX
servers. These servers never REALLY know how long they have been up. They always report times that are different from reality (usually
shorter than actual uptime) when I know that they have not rebooted (a
check of the logs will verify).
Certainly not a major problem, but I'm curious...

As far as I know, /proc/uptime is the place where the uptime is kept. If you cat /proc/uptime repeatedly you can see that it's a running timer. The program /usr/bin/uptime just reads /proc/uptime, converting it to a human readable format. I have no idea why your ML10 boxes don't keep accurate uptimes. Maybe someone else can offer an idea.

Dumb question - is the time accurate on these boxes, or do they lose time? It sounds like they might be missing a few timer interupts...

Mikkel