On Tuesday 26 October 2004 06:32, Russell W. Behne wrote:
> Today at 00:22, Greg Meyer wrote:
> > On Monday 25 October 2004 09:04 pm, Russell W. Behne wrote:
> > > Ok, I got the switch, installed it, and the two hosts can ping each
> > > other, but neither can ping the server, and when I try to ping either
> > > host from the server I  get this error message:
> > >         ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> > > Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?
> >
> > A quick google search turned up this.  Does it help?
>
> Ok, I did this:
> ]# iptables -L OUTPUT -n -v
> Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
>  pkts bytes target  prot opt in out  source     destination
> 10175 4066K ACCEPT   all  --  * lo   0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0
>     0     0 DROP    !icmp --  * *    0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  state INVALID
> 24541 1478K fw2net   all  --  * eth0 0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0
>  4286  336K all2all  all  --  * eth1 0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0
>     0     0 Reject   all  --  * *    0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0
>     0     0 LOG      all  --  * *    0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  LOG flags 0
> level 6 prefix `Shorewall:OUTPUT:REJECT:' 0     0 reject   all  --  * *
> 0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0
>
> Being a complete newbie at this, it appears that shorewall is blocking
> ALL pings. Exactly how should I enable bidirectional pings (and
> everything else for that matter) within my local network, and still
> block only those pings coming from outside, (from the Internet)? I've
> never had to manually config shorewall, and haven't a clue what
> ccommand to use, or where to put it to make it permanent.

Yes shorewall will by default block pings from both the Internet and the local
network. It will also block ALL traffic from the local network to the
firewall. So if you want to run as a firewall AND as a server you must open
up traffic to the local network.

SHorewall is actually pretty easy to configure once you understand it. There
are a number of text config files.
/etc/shorewall/zones  defines the zones to protect. net- is the internet, fw-
is the firewall itself, loc- is the local network

/etc/shorewall/interfaces defines which interface is in which zone.

/etc/shorewall/policy  defines the general firewall policy
/etc/shorewall/masq  defines masquerading (Network address translation)
/etc/shorewall/rules defines exceptoins to the policy (ports you want to open)

The text is self explanatory

to allow ping from local net in 'rules'

ACCEPT  loc     fw      icmp    8

to open up all services from local net to firewall in 'policy' change

loc     fw      ACCEPT

Then 'shorewall restart'
  in a root terminal
see www.shorewall.net for documentation.