On Tuesday 26 October 2004 14:13, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> Hello friends...
>
> Until I installed 10.1 CE my Olympus C740UZ worked like a charm :
> Just plugging it into an USB port popped up a harddisk icon on my
> desktop (be it KDE or Gnome) and I could copy, move, delete and one
> thing and another, just as another mass storage medium. I could
> even use the camera as another USB stick.
>
> But in 10.1 the thing goes crazy : plugging the camera into an USB
> port clutters the desktop with strange icons
> (xsane-blah-blah-blah), rearranges all other icons and never stops.
>
> Furthermore the CPU goes bananas.  Using "top" when in KDE shows
> kdeinit consuming 99% of the CPU cycles. In Gnome nothing shows in
> "top", but nevertheless the system becomes almost unusable. Logging
> out/in doesn't remedy the problem, only a full reboot does.
>
> Strange thing is, /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab don't reveil anything
> concerning the matter.
>
> Do I really have to roll back to 10.0 ?
>
> Kaj Haulrich.
I'm quit happy with 10.1, so (according to me)
you shouldn't roll back.

But Kaj,
what do you get when running "tail -f /var/log/messages" when you plug in the
device?
That's where we should be looking ....as well as "lsmod" before and after
plugging-in.

Are these symptoms showing up in gnome as well as in KDE? You didn't mention;)

--
Good luck,
HarM