On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:13, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> Even in runlevel 3 i can see the process going on
> (in /var/log/messages).  The system connects/disconnects its USB
> device until hell freezes over or I reboot.
>
> As a last resort I re-installed 10.1 CE from scratch, copied nothing
> back from my backup CDs, updated available rpms and tried anew.
> Still staring at my runaway box.
>
> I have reached the point of considering a switch to some other
> distro, maybe Fedora or Debian.

Well, at the risk of sounding obvious, I would venture there's something up
with the kernel v2.6.8 usb drivers and your camera, and not anything to do
with the desktop or apps.  You could try installing and booting an earlier
kernel, like whatever the last one for 10.0 was (2.6.3?), or worse yet try
the 2.4 kernel that comes with 10.1 .  Just install them in addition to the
current 2.6.8 kernel, reboot into one of them, and see if they behave any
better.

Or it could be udev, which is new to 10.1 for managing devices in place of
devfs.  You could try reverting to using devfs under the 2.6.8 kernel.  Just
go into the lilo config in mcc and modify the boot options to remove the
"devfs=nomount" part, reboot and watch for the message that udev is disabled
due to devfs being used, then try your luck.  In fact, try this first before
you try any other kernels, I have a hunch it might work, if it doesn't then
it definately is kernel usb driver problems.

If none of this works, and even if you decide to change distros, please file a
bug report with Mandrake so they can fix it for other people, including
whatever distro you move to :-)

Cheers!

John.