There is one other Makefile in one of the subdirectories. I can't remember
where it is right now. Do some looking around, it is in one of the
directories that is one level below /usr/src/linux

----- Original Message -----
From: Siu Fai Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 11:17 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] "make xconfig" error

> I experienced the exact problem, any files should I modify other than
Makefile?

> SF
>
> Earl Karch wrote:
>
> > OK.  I edited Makefile and removed "preferred-stack-boundary=2".  I ran
> > make xconfig.  I ran make dep.  But when I tried to run make zImage got
> > the same "preferred-stack-boundary=2" error.  Which file should I edit
> > this time?
> >
> > Steve Philp wrote:
> >
> > > It means Mandrake never tested their packages before they shipped
them.
> > > The kernel will not rebuild as they distributed it unless you edit the
> > > Makefile.
> > >
> > > Change to the /usr/src/linux directory and use your favorite editor to
> > > edit Makefile.  Search for 'preferred-stack-boundary=2' and remove it.
> > > Save the Makefile.
> > >
> > > Now do your kernel compile and all will be well.
> > >
> > > It's been a month, where's the fix Mandrake??
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steve Philp
> > > Network Administrator
> > > Advance Packaging Corporation
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fom
it-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-ex
ceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-ma
th -fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functio
ns=2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -DCPU=386  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c