On Thursday 28 October 2004 11:52, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 11:18, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
>
> <replies within>
>
> > On Thursday 28 October 2004 10:54, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > > However, I can retrieve my photos by booting into runlevel 3,
> > > mount the camera as /dev/sda1 and copy the files over.  Then
> > > reboot to cool down the CPU.  Circumstantial, I think.....
> >
> > doing telint 1 should also resolve that, after which you can
> > telinit 3 or 5 again. I.e. you shouldn't need to reboot.
>
> Telinit 3 works OK, but the CPU is running like mad, nevertheless.
> Going back into runlevel 5 doesn't stop it. Only a reboot.

I meant going into "single-user mode/failsafe" alternatively you could boot
into falisafe and try connecting the device in there.

> > Installing 2.4 was bound to give you problems, especially in
> > respect to certain modules 2.6 has.
>
> It certainly did.
>
> > Going into mcc and disabling udev as well as enabling devfs "at
> > boot" in the <system> <services> department is what might resolv
> > something.
>
> well, I don't have devfs.  According to some bugzilla reports, quite
> the opposite is needed.  Warly posted something in his notes on
> 10.1, saying "disable devfs, enable udev"..... Confusing.

Yep, but it's not easy to pinpoint what's happening....hence my propositions

> > BTW, doesn't the box quiten down when removing the camera?
>
> Nope.  Keeps running at 99% .

In telinit 1 too?
BTW, what does "top" say as to what's hogging the cpu?
Try killing the culprit.

> Boot into Knoppix, where the camera shows nicely as another
> harddisk, ftp the photos to my website and - being back in
> Mandrake, ftp them home again.  Where there is a will, there is a
> way...

I always boot into slax or slackware.....it's a lot faster at boot time;)
Always carry a miniCD with Slax on it with me......there's even smaller which
fit on a credit card CD (<50Mb) like the FreeSoftwareFoundation membership
card....hint, hint, nudge, nudge! ;)

Alas those creditcardCD's always break in my wallet on the long run:(

--
Good luck,
HarM