On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:00, Thomas Ewender wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm trying to make my dvd drive work to play commercial (encrypted) dvds.
> I'm running the Mandrake distro 10.0, Linux 127.0.0.1 2.6.3-7mdk on a
> Samsung X10 1.5 GHz.
>
> I downloaded libdvdcss 1.2.8. and installed it using the ./configure + make
> + make install method (don't know how you call it). In my opinion it must
> have worked, because i found the libdvdcss.so symlink in /usr/local/lib and
> there was no hint that anything went wrong.
>
> Nevertheless, when i try to play a dvd Totem yields the following message:
>
> "An error occured
> The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you trying to play an
> encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?."
>
> Any help is appreciated very much!!!
>
> Tom

Tom,

Rather than compile it yourself, it's far easier to use the packages from the
PLF, which work perfectly.

The PLF (Penguin Liberation Front) site at http://plf.zarb.org contains RPMs
for Mandrake that cannot be distributed with the main distribution for
various legal and other reasons.  It also has tweaked versions of pacakges in
the main distribution.

The easiest way to use the PLF is to go to their EasyURPMI page at
http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ which you can use to select a mirror to set-up as
a Package Source in the Mandrake Software Installer.  Once you've added the
Source, just go into Install Software as usual and you will have all the
packages listed there to install.

If you need any more help, just hollar!

John.