On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:37:16 -0500
Fred Fraley disseminated the following:

>       Should I rely on a DSL gateway with NAT, or do I NEED a dedicated
> destop for a firewall?
>
>       I recently got DSL with a Westell Versalink 327W
> modem/router/hub/gateway, which has a built in firewall with NAT.

The fact that the modem and firewall are in one box troubles me, though I cannot
give you a specific reason why. I would be inclined to use the *modem* as a
*modem* and then connect it to a real firewall. As Bjorn pointed out, IPCop is a
good one, Smoothwall is another kick ass firewall, just boot from a CD and yer
done:

http://www.smoothwall.org/

If your old box you wanna use as a firewall can't boot from a CD, there are even
alternatives that will work from just a floppy. This is the one I use, it was
very easy to set up and to use, and has never once failed me (running on a P90
with 16 MB of RAM):

http://www.bbiagent.net/en/index.html

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
18:54:38 up 92 days, 19:45, 7 users, load average: 0.16, 0.50, 0.43