I am of course new to linux, I'm taking a class in which one thing we learned was to change the environmental variable of the prompt using the line "PS1=" I want my prompt to display my current working directory, and the way I did that in the class was add PS1=`pwd`">>" Now the class was an older version of the bash shell running out on a free-bsd server. I tried to get my prompt on mine at home by adding the same line to my .bashrc file in my home directory. It only displays my home directory, even when I change into other directories. So can someone help with what I'm doing wrong and/or what's different than the bash at school, that makes this difficult. I appreciate all the help you've given me thus far.
Thx,
Elliot
P.S. I'm running mandrake 10.0 Official.