Two days ago, my Yamaha CD burner decided it wasn't going to burn! It will
play data CDs normally, but when I insert a CD and try to burn with it, I get
a message that there is an input/output error. The tray then opens and I get
a message to insert a blank CD. Push the tray back in and the same thing
happens again.

It's the same whether I try to burn a new CD, a new CD-RW or a previously
recorded CD-RW. It won't erase a CD-RW either.

For some time, before this happened a couple of days ago, it would only record
a CD-RW at a maximum speed of 2x and a CD at a maximum of 6x. When it was new
(two and a half years ago), I was getting 10-15x for a CD-RW and 20x for a
CD. All the blanks are still from the same batches as the original ones.

I have tried to burn with K3b and XCDroast in Mandrake, PCLOS and Libranet,
also Nero in W98SE. All are the same, "please insert a CD". I already have
done :(

I don't want to go to the expense of buying a new drive, unless I know that
the drive is faulty and the fault does not lie elsewhere.

>From these symptoms, is it likely that the drive has gone "duff", or can
someone please suggest what else may suddenly be causing the drive to play
but not record?

Many thanks

Keith