On Saturday 13 November 2004 14:19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Pick up a book and read the copyright notice. I've always felt it was
> ambiguous.
>
> Wouldn't it also depend on whether you bought the item or a license to use
> the item, a la MS?

Yes, but then they wouldn't be able to use copyright laws to come after you,
they would have to pursue you for breach of contract.  Copyright is enshrined
in law and is fairly clear regarding the limitations of the grant that
Congress or the Legislature has provided the creator versus the rights
enjoyed by the public.  You can try to place greater limitations than is
provided by copyright law but you can't use copyright law to enforce those
limitations.

--
Bryan Phinney