SNIP

> Sorry about the misunderstanding; I shoulda looked more into what I'm
> talking about before I posted.  I don't run the network of the company I'm
> setting this up for, but I have a web server on their internet connection
> (It was an "I give you cheap website construction:You give me bandwidth:I
> build more websites for other peeps" deal).  They're getting ready to set
> up a mail server, but want it in front of their primary firewall for the
> network.  I'm in front of their firewall, and so I'm gonna run their mail.
>  From what I gather they already have an SMTP server running, but the
> important part is I asked them and they said all they needed was POP3, not
> SMTP.
>     So yeah; QMail has a POP3 component doesn't it?  I've never set up a
> POP3 server before and am starting from scratch here.
>            Thanx,
>               SigmaChi

OK I think they are just confused about their FLA's  (Four Letter Acronyms)

When they say they need POP3 but not SMTP, I suspect they mean not **IMAP**.
Client computers always receive mail using either POP3 or IMAP, but they
ALWAYS send mail using SMTP.

They will currently be using SMTP to send mail to their ISPs mail server
directly from their clients. When they get their mail server they can
reconfigure to send through that, and to receive their mail from the server
using POP3

If that is what they are trying to achieve you will need two components.
An SMTP server, and a POP3 server.

For an SMTP server my experience is with Postfix. Postfix is commonly regarded
as easier to set up than Sendmail, and it is the default mail server for
Mandrake. If you install the drakwizard package and open Mandrake Control
Centre you will see a new 'Server' section. In there is a simple wizard to
set up a Postfix server.

For a POP3 server the most widely used is imap-2004  Just install the package
and in your MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services GUI start the 'ipop3'
service. Users of the mail system will need a user name on the server, and
will retrieve mail using their username/password.  (Set up for virtual mail
boxes is a bit more complicated)

Be aware your firewall will need port 25 open for SMTP and port 110 for POP3

For more advanced configuration of Postfix, install webmin if you have not
already done so and in a browser go to
https://localhost:10000
Lokk in the 'Server' section for the Postfix configuration GUI

(Note https NOT http )

BTW: The biggest "gotcha" when setting up Postfix is to get the 'mydomains'
parameter correct. Postfix will refuse to relay mail for anyone who is not
either listed as a local user, or is sending to a local user. So Postfix has
to know which domains or subnets are considered 'local'

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org