What in your opinion/s would be the best way to utilize the disk space of an 80G hard disk?

Is it best to have a separate partition for Home Directory?
Is it wise to have spare partition for testing stuff on? I understand some folks do this.
Separate partition for root?

What is best?

Obviously for Linux only,

I currently have a 40G HD Dual booting XP and ML 10. with 3 * 10G for Windows and 1 * 10G for ML.

This Disk is very nearly full and i don't want to delete anything from the windows partitions.
I primarily use ML instead of XP (Yep, another convert).

I do plan to upgrade to ML 10.1 when i get the new HD.

All advice welcome

Thank you

Tim