> On Friday 19 Nov 2004 16:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Thanks: Tried that. Actually, hitting Escape after login does not do
> > anything (strange, I also thought it should do something). Tried disabling
> > services, disabling harddrake does not help. I tried disabling sshd too,
> > because every time a boot I get the following noise on my auth.log:
> >
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but try this.  Get to
> the
> lilo screen, hit enter to start loading.  After about 2 seconds on my box
> there is a blink, and hitting Esc at that point lets you see the text
> messages.
>
> Alternatively, I think I have seen a setting in kdecontrol that allows you to
> set whether a background displays during bootup.  If you turn that off it
> will be easier to see.  HTH
>
> Anne
> --
> Registered Linux User No.293302
> Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels

Once more thank you for your answers (for all who contributed). I do appreciate
them, but I have not been able solve this. Let me try to be more clearer what
the problem seems to be:

I have the verbose mode on (or I think so) by default. I see lots of stuff
rolling through the screen when I boot (Like "Starting Shorewall:  [OK]"). It is
only when this finishes (after getting the time from the remote server via
internet) things hang. The sequence of events varies a little from boot to boot
but here is what happens:

1. The blue screen with mandrake logo and an hourglass comes up
2. Sometimes I also get the login screen quickly, sometimes don't. If I do get
the login screen I can login, but then everything hangs (with the blue screen
with mandrake logo and hourglass).
3. When I don't get to the login screen I just see the same screen (with
hourglass).
4. After a random amount of time (at most five minutes it seems) everything
moves and is back to normal (i.e. I can login).
5. As I said, I can login to TTY, the second TTY-login will proceed immeaditely
to CLI.

What I have tried now is:
1. playing with /etc/hosts
2. Disabling hardrake.
3. Disabling sshd (because strange comment on the auth.log about sshd).

This has not made any difference. I wonder whether I should just let it be,
since otherwise everything is working and I really have no reason to boot the
machine ever. It is just the feeling that something is not right that bothers
me. Any suggestions welcome!

Saku