On Saturday 20 November 2004 10:02 pm, Lanman wrote:
> The only reason that I'm suspecting the motherboard is because the very
> first drive I had in this system ended up with disk errors, and then
> this problem appeared. The M/Board doesn't have any mention of BIOS
> anti-virus protection which has been typical with Asus. Add to that the
> fact that the BIOS usually warns you if something tries to write to the
> boot sector of the drive and I haven't seen anything like that with this
> board.
>
> But the fact that something is preventing me from writing to the MBR has
> me very curious too. This is the first time I've ever seen this at all
> in about 10 years, and re-doing the BIOS would usually kill any TSR or
> other virus embedded onto the motherboard.

I think you might be interested in this?
http://www.techimo.com/forum/t126736.html

Do you use grub? Maybe lilo is your answer.
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Nov/1911.html

HTH
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
22:37:55 up 3:01, Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586